“Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That’s how the light gets in.”
To celebrate Arts and Humanities month, Oak Park Art League is presenting an international juried exhibition that explores the theme of beauty emerging out of that which has been broken.
Leonard Cohen said about his lyrics, “...there is a crack in everything that you can put together: physical objects, mental objects, constructions of any kind. But that’s where the light gets in, and that’s where the resurrection is...where the return,...where the repentance is. It is with the confrontation, with the brokenness of things.”
The exhibition is open to artists of all mediums who are over 18 years of age. Cash awards will be presented. Please check our website for an updated list of sponsors.
About the Juror
Doug Stapleton is an artist, curator and educator. He is an Associate Curator of Art with the Illinois State Museum and a former adjunct faculty in the Interdisciplinary Arts graduate program at Columbia College Chicago. Stapleton's work has been the subject of two solo exhibitions at the Chicago Cultural Center and Loyola University Museum of Art, Chicago in 2012. He is a former Artistic Associate with the Chicago based contemporary dance company The Seldoms, as a dramaturg and performer. Prior to his work with the Seldoms, he performed in over 40 solo and collaborative performances since 1989. He received an MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and a BA in Anthropology from University of Delaware with a minor in Art History and Ceramics.
- Application Deadline: Saturday, September 1, 2018, Midnight PDT
- Shipped Works to Arrive by: October 4, 2018
- Hand-Delivered Works Accepted: October 6, 7, and 9 during gallery hours
- Exhibition Opening: October 12, 2018
- Opening Reception: Friday, October 12, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Exhibition Closes: November 3, 2018
- Artwork Pick-Up in Gallery: November 3, 5, and 6
- Returned Artwork Shipped Out by: November 16
Image and Submission Requirements
- Artists must be 18 years of age.
- Work of all media is acceptable. Works may not exceed 48” in any direction, or 75 lbs in weight.
- Artists may submit images of up to 3 works for the $25 non-refundable entry fee. 3D entries are permitted an additional detail view.
- Image requirements: All entries must be in JPEG format, 300 dpi, no longer than 900 pixels in any direction.
- All entries will be accepted via Submittable at this link (LINK) or via the link on our website.
- Art must be available for display for the duration of the exhibit.
- Deadline for Entry is September 1, 2018, Midnight PDT.
- Accepted work must be received at OPAL no later than Saturday October 9, 2018.
- Artists are responsible for shipping costs and must include a paid return shipping label with their shipment.
- Hand-delivered entries will be accepted during regular gallery hours on October 6, 8, 9, 2018.
- Accepted work must be properly framed (or gallery wrapped), wired and labeled. No clip frames or sawtooth.
Delivery of Artwork
- Accepted entries will receive further information regarding shipping and delivery. Return shipping instructions will be included.
- it is the responsibility of the artist that the artwork be properly packaged and insured.
- Gallery is alarmed with remote monitoring and accepted artwork will be handled with reasonable care. Oak Park Art League will not be liable for any damage or loss during the jurying, delivery, exhibition, removal or return shipping of artwork. All insurance during this time is the responsibility of the artist.
- Damaged crates will remain unopened pending notification of the carrier and artist.
- Work unclaimed by sender at return address is not the responsibility of Oak Park Art League.
- The Oak Park Art League will retain a commission of 35% for any sales during the show or that result from the show.
- The Oak Park Art League reserves the right to photograph and retain a set of images of the exhibit. These materials will be used solely for educational, promotional, and documentation purposes.
Return of Artwork
- Artwork may be picked up during gallery hours November 3, 5, or 6. Shipped works will be sent out by November 16, 2018. Return shipping label and packaging is to be provided by the exhibiting artist. Oak Park Art League is not responsible for any works left after the pick up dates, or for which return shipping has not been provided.
- An opening reception will be held on Friday, Oct. 12, 2018 from 7:00–9:00 p.m. at the Oak Park Art League.